Saturday, February 25, 2012

Yarn stashes and yearly yardage totals

Just started reading a bunch of threads in a Ravelry.com group called Stash and Burn.  At first it kinda gave me chills.  Do I really have to catalog my stash?  Do I want to waste the time?  Then I started thinking - yeah, yeah dangerous I know.  but... I did.  And maybe it's a good idea.  I could use some of it.  So this past week I did.  I used 3 skeins of a Patons' Norspun and 1 skein of a Berroco Optik that I've had for years - and I mean years. 

I've owned The Colonial Yarn Shop for 6 + years now and I bought this from the previous owner.  Yarn was still in good shape.  So I began a crocheted shawl for a friend.  And I finished it.  Life is a little complicated now so I have had to put a couple of projects on hold.  Can't concentrate.  But what to do now?  I have this great feeling that I reduced my stash.  Aren't I entitled to begin a NEW project with NEW yarn I asked myself?

We are anticipating the arrival of a new grandchild so wouldn't now be the right time to begin something for the baby?  What to do.  I muddled and muddled and then - voila!  I'll begin a blanket.  So I searched for a new yarn and found several colors in a soft cotton.  Since pink is not one of the desired colors for the expected baby girl, I elected to make a Log Cabin-style of blanket using some of each color.  There's a soft lime green, a pretty yellow, lilac, turquoise and a little pink just to round it out.  I cast on last night and made the first square.  Today I added the second and third.  hopefully tonite I can add some more.  It's exciting to see the colors line up.  Pictures to follow.

And I don't feel so bad about starting a new project.

So I continued reading "Stash and Burn".  Someone go the bright idea to count how yards of yarn they used in a year.  I almost had the big one big time.  Why would you do that to yourself?  Oh lordy, I don't think I want to know.  But then...enquiring minds said, hmmmm!  You might surprise yourself at how industrious you are?  So I ask you:  Do you keep track of yardage?  by the month or year?  would you be interested in doing this?  We would keep track of used yarn - not bought and stashed; in line or anything else.  Actual useage.  Let know.   Enquiring minds yadda-yadda.....

No comments: